425 Years of QEH
How much do you know about QEH?
Find answers to these questions in the new book by Steve Ryan
- How else is QEH known to Bristolians?
- What trade was John Carr involved in?
- Which other charity school or “hospice” caring for poor children inspired John Carr to found QEH? It was also the first bluecoat school.
- Why did John Carr not leave his money for his children to inherit?
- “Whilst we have time let us do good” Where does the school motto come from?
- Name the three sites that the school has been on.
- Why did boarders have initials on their badges on the bluecoats?
- When was our present school building opened?
- What was built to mark the 400th anniversary of the school?
- According to the 1848 rules, when and for how long were parents allowed to visit their sons?
- In 1919 what was the schoolroom used for and why?
- In what year was the House system introduced?
- The dining room had “family service”. What did this mean?
- In which year did the school become an independent school?
- In which year did the last boarders leave QEH and the Junior school open?
- Who does Steve Ryan consider to be the most remarkable of all the Old Boys?
Get the book or you can click CHEAT to see the answers