John Robson

John Robson (1949 – 1954)

John a sports enthusiast and prominent Bristol freemason died on June 12, on his 76th birthday.

John Robson was born in Bristol to policeman Alfred, also a freemason, and Edna in 1938. He grew up with brothers Robert and Peter and sister Susan at the Fire Engine pub in Coalpit Heath, then the Griffin pub in Bridgeyate.

Both father and son served with the Glosters – Alfred during the Second World War in Burma, where he lost a kidney, and John on national service in Cyprus and Germany.JRobson

Mr Robson attended Queen Elizabeth’s Hospital School in Clifton as a boarder after landing a scholarship. He briefly worked at the National Provincial bank, before being employed as a costings clerk at Mardon, Son & Hall printers where he remained until his retirement.

Mr Robson married Jackie – whom he met while working at the Griffin – at Siston Church in 1969 and the couple lived in Bristol’s Fishponds area with Mr Robson’s father before settling in Warmley, South Gloucestershire. A member of the Orpheus Lodge in Downend, Bristol, he became a mason when he returned from national service and went on to become a grand officer.

Enjoying the camaraderie and contacts, his brother Peter described freemasonry as “his life”. The Duke of Kent, grand master of the United Grand Lodge of England, recently invited him to become a junior deacon. He was frequent speaker at masonic lodges in London, the Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire.

A sports enthusiast, he was among a small minority of Bristolians to hold a season ticket for both Rovers and City. With no loyalty to a particular club, just a love for the game, he also travelled to watch football at Swindon, Yeovil and Cheltenham.

Another of his passions was cricket and he was a familiar face at the County Ground but would also travel to Worcester, Taunton or Glamorgan to see a match.

He leaves behind brothers Peter and Robert, sister-in-law June, as well as nieces and nephews.

A funeral for family and friends will take place at St Barnabas Church in Warmley at 11am on July 5, followed by a cremation at Westerleigh Crematorium and a wake at Gloucestershire County Cricket Club in Bishopston.

Source: By The Bristol Post | Posted: June 17, 2014